Thursday, June 11, 2009

Cape Breton Under Water

Had a great chat with my friend Glenn about our reoccurring dreams, and the bay rising to meet the bridge. He's been having the same dream for years as well, and to him he's always felt he was in Cape Breton. When he said that I almost slapped his knee off - I knew exactly what he meant.

It's as though the bridge is over a canal. The landscape, although remembered as Cape Breton, resembles nothing of the sort... it's actually quite a small island and hilly, yet low land.

I visit this island often in my dreams, sometimes I head there for a trip, I've gone camping and on treasure hunts, I've traveled the canals, climbed the dykes, even biked the ever looping coast. I've driven around and around. I've felt trapped there, yet a belonging and a want to not let go.

Whenever I cross the bridge I'm usually on my way to some place I'm not sure I want to be - I always hesitate but forge on knowing that I will never get where I need to go unless I cross that bridge. I always have a sense of the outcome while dreaming - now I look for ways to get across quickly and safely, I've held on to the sloped, immersed road, and dragged myself to the other side.

Someday we'll fly across.

No comments:

Post a Comment